DUI Attorneys in Bellingham
What to do After a DUI Arrest:
Have you gotten a DUI arrest in Bellingham, Mount Vernon, or Friday Harbor recently? Washington State has one of the toughest laws across the nation on driving under the influence of intoxicants. At Lustick, Kaiman & Madrone, our highly experienced defense team of former prosecutors stands ready to give you the toughest legal defense to succeed in your case.
Immediately after you or someone who has received a DUI arrest, your next steps can have an important and irreversible impact on the outcome of the case.
The first THREE hours after a DUI arrest....
Get out of Jail. It is policy that drivers arrested for a DUI must be booked into jail. Our defense team is ready to help you get released on your own recognizance or to arrange for posting bail.
Locating your Vehicle. State law requires that all drivers arrested for a DUI must have their vehicles towed and impounded. Towing companies must hold your vehicle for up to 12 hours and most charge for every minute that your vehicle is in their impound lot. Our defense team knows how to locate your vehicle and minimize these costly fees.
The first EIGHT hours after a DUI arrest....
Schedule a Free Consultation. The Lustick, Kaiman & Madrone team offers free one-hour consultations where we analyze your case and give you legal strategies for success.
Attending the First Court Hearing. As part of our free consultation, we will defend you at the first appearance hearing on all cases of DUI, traffic offenses, and any criminal case. Never go to court alone. Although this is just a first appearance or an arraignment hearing, you can lose important rights and your freedom can be restricted. At a typical first appearance hearing for a DUI charge, the court will:
- Review the reasons that the police had for arresting you;
- Consider what restrictions they may place on you before trial, including prohibiting you from consuming intoxicants, restricting your entry into bars and/or taking away your ability to drive without restrictions;
- Impose more bail or perhaps refund any bail that you have already paid; or
- Place you on a pre-trial probation (formally known as pre-trial monitoring).
The first TWENTY FOUR hours after your DUI arrest....
Defending your case. Once our defense team is on board, we begin thoroughly reviewing your case. Some of the many things we focus on include:
- Was the traffic stop valid and lawful?
- Did the arresting officer correctly administer the field sobriety test?
- Were you properly read the Implied Consent Warnings and the Miranda Warnings?
- Was the breath test administered correctly or was the machine in proper working order?
- If you declined to take the breath or blood test, was there a legally excusable reason to decline?
- Are there any other legal issues in the case which could become motions to dismiss or suppress evidence in your case?
Keeping Your License From Being Taken Away. In Washington State, the Department of Licensing will suspend or revoke driving privileges after an arrest. Drivers have only 20 days in which to request a hearing to keep their driver’s license. If you do not prevail in your DOL case, you will receive a suspension or revocation of your driver’s license of the following duration:
- 90 days - If your BAC is .08 or greater (.02 if you are a minor)
- One year - If you refused to take a breath or blood test
- Two years - If this is your second or subsequent DUI or refusal
Why Choose Lustick, Kaiman & Madrone for Your DUI Defense?
The defense team at Lustick, Kaiman & Madrone includes former criminal prosecutors who have handled numerous DUI cases over the years. We are keenly aware of the possible winning strategies and work very hard to obtain the best possible outcomes for our clients in both parts of the DUI case. We diligently and thoroughly examine and then hyper-prepare for the DOL hearing and work toward building solid defenses in the court case as well. We examine your entire case from the moment you were initially stopped by the police to the moment when the breath ticket is printed by the Breathalyzer machine, and every even that fell between.
Contact a DUI Attorney:
Call us today at 360-685-4221 or fill out the form below to arrange for your FREE consultation regarding your DUI case.