Jeffrey A. Lustick
Founding Partner and Emeritus Senior Manager
Jeffrey Lustick is the Founding Partner and Emeritus Senior Manager of Lustick, Kaiman & Madrone, PLLC, where his legal practice now focuses exclusively on aviation law, Federal criminal defense, and on drafting wills & estates. He also provides aviation legal consulting for individual pilots, aircraft owners, and to the news media and the aviation industry.
Jeffrey began his legal career in 1997 as a JAG officer in the U.S. Air Force. After his graduation from Air Force Officers Training School and attending the 12-week Judge Advocate Staff Officer’s Course, Jeffrey went on to serve as a military prosecutor at three different bases and circuit defense counsel. He was also appointed as a Special Assistant United States Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska. One of Jeffrey’s most notable active-duty assignments was as the Director of International and Operations Law with the 12th Special Operations Wing (now the 1st SOW) of the Air Force Special Operations Command at Hurlburt Field, Florida.
After leaving active military duty, Jeffrey was selected as the first person to be the Lead Municipal Prosecutor for the City of Bellingham. In this role, he reorganized the city’s criminal justice prosecution system, and handled numerous news-worthy cases, including the so called pit-protestor cases and the depleted uranium trespass case. He left the position in 2004 to enter private practice in 2004 with Steven Childress, Esq.
Between 2001 and 2009, Jeffrey served as a JAG officer in the Washington Air National Guard, where he earned the rank of Major. Jeffrey was a “traditional guardsman” and reported for duty one weekend a month and for two weeks during the summer. Some of his notable duty positions included State Defense Counsel for all Army and Air National Guard personnel; Staff Judge Advocate for the 262d Information Warfare Aggressor Squadron, and Deputy Staff Judge Advocate for the 196th Regional Support Wing. Jeffrey Lustick received an Honorable Discharge from the military in November 2009.
Jeffrey was elected President of the Whatcom County Bar Association in 2006 after serving as an officer for four years. He was also President of the Baker Creek Estates Neighborhood Association in North Bellingham where he helped draft the City of Bellingham’s annexation plans for the area, worked to establish safety and security programs, and founded a neighborhood block watch.
Jeffrey served as a legal news consultant, on-air contributor, and was a frequent fill-in talk show host for KGMI Radio AM-790 in Bellingham. He also frequently provided legal commentary for news stories on television stations KIRO-7, KING-5 and KOMO-4 in Seattle and has done so nationally for ESPN-Radio. He also appeared several times as a legal consultant and on-air guest for TruTV (formerly Court TV) in Manhattan, N.Y.
He is a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Legal Plan Attorney’s Panel, the Washington Pilot’s Association, the Experimental Aircraft Association, the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary-Civil Air Patrol, the American Legion, the Sons of the American Legion. He is a former member of the Washington Air National Guard. A pilot since the age of 17, Jeffery has more than 2,500 hours of flight experience in Cessna, Diamond, and Piper aircraft.
Western Washington University, Bachelor of Arts (1993)
Skagit Valley College, Associate of Arts Degree (1991)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers by National Trial Lawyers organization 2012-2016
- Top 100 DUI Attorneys in Washington, National Advocacy for DUI Defense, 2013-2106
- Washington Super Lawyers, 2008-2016
- Top 40 Trial Lawyers Under Age 40 in Washington, 2010
- Avvo.com Rated “10” Superb continuously since 2006.
Admitted to the Following Courts
- The United States Supreme Court
- The Washington State Supreme Court
- The Washington State Court of Appeals
- All Superior, District & Municipal Courts in Washington State
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- United States Court of Veterans Appeals
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals
- U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals
- Lummi Indian Nation Tribal Court, Ferndale, WA
- Admitted to practice before the FAA and the NTSB